Help with identifying my type please.

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
rsilvers

Re: Help with identifying my type please.

Postby rsilvers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:00 pm

That video looks important, but it is six steps and seems to be to take intermediate swimmers to the advanced level. I am not ready for that because I have far more basic problems. After I can swim as well as most people doing laps, I can revisit it. I think my kicking is getting under control as I can feel the surface on my heels.

I captured some footage today, and my timing (hips relative to my pull) was way off, but at least I am aware of it. It is hard for me to correct that when I want to just not inhale water. And I want to Popeye breath in the valley of water, but I am not sure where that is or when I am above it. I need a lot more time in the water and may have to spend a year at this just to not look terrible.

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Snorkel?
Google youtube Gerry Rodrigues and see if that appoach is something for you.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

rsilvers

Postby rsilvers » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:12 pm

I have a swim snorkel, and yes, when I use it, I can concentrate on stroke and kick a lot more. So I should use it once a week or so. I didn't today as I had a goal of using no aids to make sure I could swim 500 yards with no help.

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:41 pm

I see people swimming slow long distances with a bad stroke everywhere.
swimming just as slow year after year.
If you feel you can better concentrate and improve on your stroke with that snorkel during your set using it is worth it.
If the novelty wears off, its better to add more normal breathing action.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

rsilvers

Postby rsilvers » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:25 pm

I don't like the snorkel and may not use it anymore. Why? Because I can fake good form for short periods, and what stops me is my breathing, so my first-order problem is to get much more experience breathing.

Today I wanted to see if I could swim without the neoprene shorts, as all of my recent gains were using them. I did 500 yards with a regular swimsuit / no rest / all flip turns, which is a first. It took 14 minutes (trying to go slowly to not cause a failure). The last time I tried it, I failed early and bad.

My form was horrendously bad, as I was in survival mode trying to get through something I have never done before. But after I met my goal, I was relaxed and did 50 yards with dramatically improved form. So now that I know I can sustain 500 with no aids, next time, I may want to not have any distance goal, or any "no stopping goal" and just try for good form. I can alternate back and forth and home in on a better result.

As for people who swim year after year with poor form - I can't see doing that, as I am tracking my times, and I know the only way my times will get much better is to have less drag.

I do see people year after year in the gym who are still overweight and they are typically just doing some stretching there with a band or passing a ball back and forth. That is not going to do anything. It is mostly all having a calorie limit anyway.

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 am

rsilvers wrote:I don't like the snorkel and may not use it anymore. Why? Because I can fake good form for short periods, and what stops me is my breathing, so my first-order problem is to get much more experience breathing. ...Today I wanted to see if I could swim without the neoprene shorts, as all of my recent gains were using them. I did 500 yards with a regular swimsuit .

Me too - somehow inhaling/exhaling through narrow tubing of a front snorkel seems so un-natural (inhibited by not being able to do it at ones normal breathing rate, because of the breathing tube size???) - my snorkel has been put back on a shelf. Yet others take to its use with the greatest of ease! :roll:

Very "instructive" ;) doing without the buoyancy shorts! The last time I tried it (nearly 2 years ago), my body was so low in the water when swimming FS, that inhalation was very difficult - don't think I would enjoy swimming without wearing them now.

My low-lying posture without the B.S. made my little efforts at fly pathetic - my toes at the end of a major kick downbeat sometimes touched the bottom, some 4 foot or so, down - so my body must have been at a crazy angle, also there seemed to be a "mountain of water" to press the arms through, back/up, in order to reach the surface for a gasp of air. I may not have negative buoyancy - but not far off it - so the B.S. are almost an essential for me now!

Yeah! it's sad about the over-weight bods (ouch! :oops: ). The problem gets worse as one gets older I think - not so much a matter of "comfort-eating", as thinking one deserves that little "occasional treat" of biscuits or cake etc - but those pounds of flab tend to accumulate so quickly, and the bathroom scales tell the resultant sorry story - so it's back to an austerity diet for a while! My target weight is 11 stone or 70 kg - but it often goes up a few pounds till the "day of reckoning" dawns - then the cut-back on calorie intake is not a happy time! I try to convince myself that just having a very light mid-day meal (just soup often, after a swim) will help keep me "in trim" - but my wife often "tempts" me by putting nuts/bag of crisps or a jammy scone etc, on my plate as an "after snack". To which I usually reply "if you put it on my plate and it's interesting - I'll eat it!" - but see the result a few days later!

I don't have a dog to take out for "walkies" now ("put to sleep" after a stroke mid-Feb - so that's even less exercise now) - occasional 30 minute sessions on the exercise bike, or the less frequent walks of about 90 mins around my locality (I get along faster now without a dog continually stopping to sample "smells") - are a very poor substitute for the amount of walking I used to do!

rsilvers

Postby rsilvers » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:39 pm

My food weakness is wasting food == bad.

I would never go buy an Apple pie, but if my wife bakes one, and it sits in the fridge uneaten (which it does, as my kids are not into dessert), then I feel like I need to use it up. It is a constant battle as she overbuys food. If we go to a Chinese restaurant, she will tend to buy three full dishes beyond what we can possibly eat. She is only 120 lbs or so.

On the other hand, if ice-cream is in the freezer, I don't feel any pressure to use it up. And I am 65kg, and ran 6 miles last night, so this is all only a minor issue.

Return to “Swim Types!”