Coaching Question..Suggestions Triathlete Swimming Faster

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
KirstenR

Coaching Question..Suggestions Triathlete Swimming Faster

Postby KirstenR » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi,

I am a coach working primarily with triathletes. I, myself, am a successful Swinger with a 2-beat kick and am partial to this style for open water swimming.

This woman is training for a half iron man this summer. She is very consistent but I haven't been wildly successful in getting her to bust out of her methodical plodding stroke rate. She has improved quite a bit...hopefully you can see that in this rough side by side comparison:

I am trying to get her to swing more, snap her hips more, and generally put more tempo into her stroke. I can stand over her and time her...she doesn't seem to be able to go faster but her heart rate for 10 seconds stays at 16-20 generally (it went to 22 once). I work with her to feel the water, work on her catch, accelerate through the pull more. We mix up speeds. We do drills and use paddles.

This is a frustrating case. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Kirsten
Last edited by KirstenR on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nofins

Re: Coaching Question..Suggestions Triathlete Swimming Faster

Postby nofins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Kirsten,
You'd probably be better posting this on the Coaches Forum rather than getting non coaches advice.
Nofins

KirstenR

Postby KirstenR » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Thank for the reply. I wanted to post on Coaches Forum but it says I don't have access. When I go to sign up for access it says I already have access (I vaguely remember signing up for this a while back).

Frustrated!

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:43 pm

HI

I would suggest that the swinger style is not for this lady. You can see that she is more of a Bambino in the left video. Upping her stroke rate hasn't done anything for her other than create more problems I'm afraid from what I can see.

How long have you been coaching her? I ask this as it may be that you have introduced some elements too early in her development or are expecting too much too soon.

Slow her stroke rate down to where it was before and start again. Work on good technique and develop from there. I would say that if this is her first 70.3 (?) then just get her through it with good technique and economy of stroke rather than trying to get her on the podium.

Also, have you done a CSS test? rather than going by stroke rate do a CSS test every 6-8 weeks to test development. She needs to be swimming at least three times a week: 1 session all technique; 1 session open water / endurance; 1 session CSS. IF she is constant in this then there will be development naturally - just not at the speed you wish the improvements to happen.

Also, best to get in touch with Adam to see what the problem is with your coaches forum access.

Hope this helps a little.
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

KirstenR

Postby KirstenR » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Gavin, I see what you mean. I haven't given Bambino the time it deserves. Thank you!

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:09 pm

KirstenR wrote:Gavin, I see what you mean. I haven't given Bambino the time it deserves. Thank you!

No worries :D

Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Return to “Swim Types!”