I think I'm overglider

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
alfaroweb

I think I'm overglider

Postby alfaroweb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi.

I think I'am overgrlider because:
-My SL (strokes per length) is 13-14 in a swimming pool of 25 m
-My SR (strokes per minute) is 40
-In my warm up or when I swim calmly, my rythm is more or less 1.28-1.30 / 100 m
-My height is 172 cm

Is this my swim type?

Thanks!

Adam Young

Re: I think I'm overglider

Postby Adam Young » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi alfaroweb,

Are you able to sustain that 1:28-1:30/100m say for 400 or 800m quite easily?

Cheers,

Adam

alfaroweb

Postby alfaroweb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Yes, maybe the lowest pace could be 1.35 / 100

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Yes, definitely an overglider then. Does the profile make sense to you based on what you see?: http://www.swimsmooth.com/overglider.html

alfaroweb

Postby alfaroweb » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 am

Ok, thanks!

I'm a bit confused, because when I swim calmy, I think I'm overglider, but when I have to swim faster or as fast as I can, my technic get worst and the number of my strokes grows so much.

For example, when I have strong series or when I made my best time, my SL is 22 +- (best pace in 100 m is 1.05, best pace in 400 m is 5.10, best pace in 1000 m is 13.55)

Could you watch a video (the quality is not too good) to tell me any error you see, or to sure me if I'am overglider?? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEf4J0pzIJc

Thanks a lot.

P.D: Sorry by my poor english

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Alfaroweb,

Your English is very good indeed mate - much better than most Australians!! ;)

I've had a look through your swim footage there, very nice stroke you have. You're certainly close to being a true smooth type there, not far off at all. Really, we can already see this from the PBs you've listed there, too quick to be an overglider.

To call you an overglider would be harsh but you do have a slight pause there in your stroke at the front and removing it is definitely going to be the key to getting some time out of your PBs. Your stroke actually looks nicer and more fluid to me when you're swimming quicker in those later sections - can you see what I mean? When you're swimming a little slower it looks like you're having to over-kick a bit and there's more and more of a deadspot. Over kicking is symptomatic of the pause in your arm stroke propulsion which you're powering through partly with the leg kick. Just looking at those faster sections, as you're trying to speed things up a classic thing is happening: you're keeping quite a bit of the pause and accelerating the rest of the stroke. That's very common to see - the trick is to remove the pause and keep the rest of the stroke speeds the same, then you're going to move quicker and more easily through the water.

How to do this? Doggy paddle drill may be the very best thing you can do. It's in both the overglider and smooth guides for you. Our preference is for a long doggy paddle with lots of body roll, pulling through all the way to the hip. This will help you develop the timing of your catch a little better. The problem with a deadspot is that you have to hurry the catch to keep the stroke going - a true smooth starts the catch sooner but takes longer over it, making it more fluid and more of a caress of the water.

If I had one piece of advice for you, it would be not to worry about your strokes per length - longer isn't always better. Forget strokes per length for a short while and focus on effort level vs. speed and keeping the stroke nice and fluid. Any smooth can swim with a very lower stroke count indeed but they don't swim at their lowest possible, that would be slower and less efficient, instead they swim with a slightly shorter more efficient stroke. You've got many great elements there in your stroke, what you need to do is find the right rhythm and stroke length for you. You're always going to have a long stroke, that's definitely your style, but don't take it too far. By the way, how tall are you?

One other thing in passing - I didn't have the perfect angle there to see it but it looks like you have a very slight tendency to cross over at the front of the stroke. Not much but just keep an eye out for that!

Hope that helps,

Adam

alfaroweb

Postby alfaroweb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Thank you very much to response and to watch the video.

I am aware that I cross my arm in my stroke. I have to improve it.

I am 172 cm tall

I'll keep all your advice.

P.D: I like your web page very much, for a long time I have been looking for something like this.

Return to “Swim Types!”