glider vs bambino

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
imjoea

glider vs bambino

Postby imjoea » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 am

What happens if you have elenents of both the bambino and glider in your stroke? I think I have elements of both in my stroke. What do you correct first and what program do you follow? Also, many instructors make a point about extension being good but when I try this it seems to lead into "overglide"? What to do? joe

Adam Young

Re: glider vs bambino

Postby Adam Young » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Joe,

You know I think that's a really good question, we do see quite a lot of cross-types. Most swimmers start out as either an Arnie or a Bambino and then progress to the other types.

When a Bambino starts to add glide into their stroke they very often start to kick quite hard too, to get through the deadspots, so very often you end up with a three-way hybrid there!

Tell me a little more about your swimming experience, how do you feel when you swim, how long have you been swimming, what speed do you swim at, how tall are you?

Cheers,

Adam

imjoea

Postby imjoea » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi Adam and thanks for the response. I am 63, 5-11, 150lbs, wingspan about -1 with smallish hands and feet. The last half ironman 1.2 mile swim was about 51 minutes with wetsuit which was about 11 slower than my age group (i still managed a 2cnd place due to a good swim and run). I feel I am a "sinker" without the wetsuit on. I've tried total immersion techniques and more recently the book "Call the Suit" by Shella Toramina to work a bit on pull and elbow postion. My goal is to be a faster swimmer and do an Ironman vext year. Thinking about it, I may have or still do have components of three types of swimmers but not Mr Smooth. I got the box set, pacer, and ironman program from you so I am hoping this all helps. Joe.

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Joe,

I'm sure that given the speed you are swimming and your physical make-up that the Bambino guide will be best for you. If you get the guide and after trying it feel it's wrong for yourself then contact me at adam@swimsmooth.com and we'll arrange a swap or refund.

Your Wetronome will be a really valuable tool for you too - as for any Bambino - as it helps you tune into a good stroke rhythm which is very often missing. If you haven't seen her already, take a look at Hannah, she's a great demonstration of how a good stroke rhythm can help a swimmer - she's just finished her first Ironman and also completed the might 21km Rottnest Channel swim this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJaFbNOOEM

If you have any video of your swimming that you can put on youtube or similar then let me know and I'll have a look and give you some specific pointers.

Stay in contact and let us know how you go!

Adam

tyciol

Postby tyciol » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I was wondering about the bambino, they are the only person who is standing with their legs (mostly at hip joint I think) internally/medially rotated. Is that just imagery or does it mean there's more pidgeon/bowleggedness?

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:35 am

I think that's something the cartoonist added to show a little anxiety into the image. No, Bambinos aren't normally bow-legged!

Return to “Swim Types!”