Arnie or Bambino: improvement needed

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
jmackenzie

Arnie or Bambino: improvement needed

Postby jmackenzie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:30 am

Hi, my swim type comes up equally Arnie and Bambino.

Not sure if I am going the right direction with my coaching. My instructor is trying to get me to glide more, rotate more, and keep my head in better position (I drop the orange)

I recognize these are all issues for me, but the drills I am doing are causing my swim to be slower, and more exhausting. I was comfortable doing 25 m at 26 strokes at about 30 seconds. Now I am uncomfortable and struggling to keep up 35 seconds. Is this a matter of being patient, and learning to be slower to get faster? Or am I working on the wrong areas for my swim type? My "punchy" stroke is gone, but it was faster and I was less tired than my new stroke. Any recommendations for training material for my swim type?

Any ideas appreciated.

Jeff

Adam Young

Re: Arnie or Bambino: improvement needed

Postby Adam Young » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am

Hi Jeff,

OK, that's not at all good that you are going slower than you used to and feel more fatigue doing it.

Tell us a little more about yourself: what's your swimming background? how tall are you? what sort of speed are you swimming at the moment?

If you're really not sure of your swim type then have you got any video clips you can show us?

Cheers,

Adam

jmackenzie

Postby jmackenzie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 am

HI Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I'm 5'11. about 165 pounds. Did not swim competitively until 6 years ago. I'm a cyclist/runner turned triathlete. My best open water time for 1500 m is 34 minutes. I was aiming for 30.

My 25 m pool time was about 30 seconds and now I'm up around 35 seconds, and 39/40 after 800 metres or so. No videos, sorry.

Thanks Adam.

Jeff

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Hi Jeff, do you swim considerably faster with a pull buoy than without?

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

jmackenzie

Postby jmackenzie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi Paul,

Good question. Considerably faster with a pullbuoy. Some shoulder fatigue if I use it for more than 4 x 25, but easily 4 seconds or so faster with pullbuoy.

Jeff

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Jeff

Without seeing your stroke and just from what you've told us there it sounds like you're probably an Arnie. Can we see any footage perhaps? What I believe may have happened with your instructor is that he/she has possibly pushed the whole "longer is better" angle a little too much and inadvertently sent you down the path of becoming an Over Glider. This is very common and there almost exists a sub-type Arnie/OverGlider category for people in situations such as yourself.

I would be very keen to see your stroke - can you send us a link to your stroke perhaps? Even if it's just a short segment on a camera phone?

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

Return to “Swim Types!”