What Swim type am I . . . .

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
smack

What Swim type am I . . . .

Postby smack » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 am

I finally figured out this video uploading thing. Can someone please tell me what swim type I am. Also, any points on areas I need to improve on are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024c73z8dBU

Adam Young

Re: What Swim type am I . . . .

Postby Adam Young » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 am

Hi smack,

You'd definitely be an Arnie in the system although not a classic one as you've clearly already done some good work with your stroke.

A classic arnie would have a worse body position and a higher stroke rate, likely fighting the water by crossing over in front of the head. Whilst your body position could still be a little higher, your stroke rate is reasonable and you certainly don't cross over.

Hazarding a guess, is crossing over something you've been concious of in the past? It looks like you're thinking about going wide as your hand enters the water and extends forwards? Depending on how you're thinking about this I have a further tip for you.

The thing you're really missing there is better rotation in your stroke which will lengthen you out and help engage your stronger chest, back and core muscles. At the moment, by not rotating much, you're going to be over using your shoulder muscles. You're clearly a powerfully built guy - if you weren't you'd struggle to swim with this style as it requires quite a lot of strength.

Cheers,

Adam

smack

Postby smack » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 am

I have struggled with the cross over. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:39 am

Hi Smack,

Well you're not crossing over at all in that clip. If you have a crossover, if you simply think about going wider with your arms then this tends to make you very flat in the water with little body rotation. It looks to me like that's what's happened with your stroke.

The cause of a cross over is really that the front of your chest is tight and the back is over stretched. If you think about going wider you maintain this position of the shoulder sloping forwards but reduce the body rotation. So instead of thinking about going wider you need to think about going straighter by drawing your shoulder blades together and pushing your chest out. The best way to practise this is by kicking on your side with fins on and working on getting your lead arm pointing straight down the pool rather than crossing over. This a sequence of drills in the Arnie guide specifically designed to help with that.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Adam

Return to “Swim Types!”