Analyse my swim type

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Gnarlysb

Analyse my swim type

Postby Gnarlysb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 am

Hi there
I'm new to forum and am considering which guide to buy...
Would you mind looking at my stroke and giving me some tips as to what swim type I am and the key things I need to improve on
Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqirCn1D ... ata_player

Thanks a lot

Tim

Adam Young

Re: Analyse my swim type

Postby Adam Young » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Tim,

OK, you are an interesting one! (not in a bad way, heh!)

Have you done quite a lot of work on your stroke? Or had quite a bit of coaching already?

I would say that you don't classically fit any of the types which normally happens when someone's done quite a bit of stroke work and so you become a bit of a hybrid. The real question for me is how you swam when you first started out? I've got a feeling you might have been a bit of an Arnie but you also kick really pretty hard when you swim which suggests possible kicktastic. Were you encouraged to kick that hard or does it happen naturally?

You also seem to emphasise carrying your arms up over the water high (a good thing) but again fairly unusual to see in someone naturally. Is this something you've done consciously?

We're super-busy over in Perth this week so sorry for any delays in replying... :)

Adam

Gnarlysb

Postby Gnarlysb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Adam

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have been following the swimsmooth DVD boxset and also had a few coaching lessons over the last month or so

I think I was probably an Arnie to start with as I had real trouble keeping my legs up and very poor rotation at the hips.

Is there anything looking at the video that you think needs particular work on to improve efficiency etc?

Thanks

Tim

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:14 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks, that's useful background for me to know.

From how you describe it I think you've made some great progress with your stroke - I assume you've made some good progress with speed and stamina from where you started?

We're a little limited from that angle to see what's happening at the front of your stroke but it's clear that occasionally you do still crossover in front of the head. It looks like you crossover momentarily and then straighten it out - this is better than a full-crossover but still well worth addressing by working on entering the water straight into an aligned position.

We do occasionally see a scissor kick when breathing to the left, it'd be worth being aware of this and thinking about keeping your legs together and brushing your big toes when you breathe.

On your kick, you're using quite a strong kick there to keep your legs up. I would stay with the 6 beat flutter but make it lighter - pretty much as light as you can while still keeping your legs up. Not only will this reduce the physical effort but it should also reduce your drag. For most of us who don't get a great deal of propulsion from our legs it's much better to minimise the kick (still keeping the legs high) and produce our propulsion from the arm stroke.

I would also keep working on your catch and feel for the water with sculling, doggy paddle, unco etc from the DVD Boxset. This is a constant work in progress for any swimmer and it will serve you well going forwards.

Cheers,

Adam

Return to “Swim Types!”