Swim type? :D

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Barkley

Swim type? :D

Postby Barkley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 am

Hi,

It would greatly appreciated if you could help me identify my swim type. Based on this I can purchase the correct guides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkFFxTi4mVY

The video shows two laps, the first lap is with 70% effort and the second is with normal effort.

I can do 400m in about 8:10-15 and am quite exhausted at the end of it.
I can swim 1500m in about 34-36 minutes. I slow my stroke down alot otherwise I get too tired.

With a swim buoy my 400m is about the same or slightly slower but my arms do not feel anyway near as tired and thus I have much more energy. I feel like im sitting much much higher in the water than without.

I try to keep my legs up by exhaling, keeping my head down etc. so im not sure if this is still the problem.
stroke rates are pretty much bang on 60 for one length.
I started out as an arnie type and with the swimsmooth dvd set ive refined it alot "I think".

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Adam Young

Re: Swim type? :D

Postby Adam Young » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Brent,

Was that video taken at Challenge? Have you done a 1to1 session with Paul?

I can certainly see that you were an Arnie and have certainly made a lot of progress with your stroke. Body position is now much much better than a classic Arnie and you've made a some really good progress keeping your legs straight when kicking and with the bilateral breathing - nice! It is hard to totally lose all the characteristics so keep working on cross overs in front of your head, this is very likely something you'll have to maintain a focus on over your whole swimming life as there'll always be a tendency for it to be there. It's not that easy to see from the clips but keep working on the exhalation into the water too, I think there's a tendency to hold your breath and this is likely to get worse when you get tired.

One other thing that you need to focus on now which you may not be aware of: Your right hand likes to cross over under the body. If you look carefully you can see this on your clips, it tends to swoop across to the left hip, particularly when you're breathing to the left. Pulling down the centre line is key otherwise you lose propulsion and have a tendency to snake in the water.

Keep working all round on your stroke now - catch work, posture, rhythm and timing, rotation etc. The other key to your development now will be regular and consistent training with a bit of discipline on pacing (not starting too fast) and making sure you do a range of intensities. Can you get to any squads? In fact talking of pacing, you look quicker to me than 8:10/400m. Are you sure you're not starting too fast and then slowing dramatically when swimming 400?

I would also keep working on flexibility. You've clearly got an athletic build and elite swimmers have this too - it's great for generating lots of propulsive power but the downside is it can make you less flexible. Elite swimmers are muscular and extremely flexible, it's this combination that's key. Any sort of long program you can put in your weekly routine to work on your upper body flexibility will serve you very well.

In terms of Swim Type you really you no longer fit a classic type which happen when a swimmer works on their stroke - in the long run we want to get you towards a smooth. That's probably best suited to your build although it is a long journey, nobody becomes a smooth quickly without exceptional talent for technical swimming. Enjoy the journey!

Hope that helps,

Adam

Barkley

Postby Barkley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for the input Adam. Its great to know that I'm on the right track.
Yes the video is at Challenge but unfortunately Paul is booked out for the foreseeable future :S
Actually I usually come to Perth for about 6 weeks holiday a year. Even though I'm from there I currently live in CH.
Ill have to look into getting into a squad here as currently I'm self motivated (consistency porblems) and self trained (based on your DVDs) :D
I will concentrate on your points.

If I may ask a question. I feel alot of my stamina is lost from sinking legs and when they are bouyant I feel like I can keep going alot longer and feel faster. Therefore I like analysing the reasons for the sinking in order to remedy it.

If I attempt to bend my lower back, i.e to have a bigger lower back arch, I feel my legs hitting the surface of the water more. So this seems to have positive results.
What do you make of this? is this a typical condition, i.e a sign of tight hip flexors?

Im also curious to compare my times with a snorkel to see how much breathing slows me down due to whatever reason, scissor kicks, body position etc.

Again thanks for your tips.

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Brent,

Sinky legs can certainly be flexibility related, including back and hip flexor as you say. Also poor catch technique, not exhaling in the water, scissor kicks, flexing through the core, inflexible ankles, lifting your head to breathe. Quite a long list! There's rarely one magic cure for body position problems - keep working on all aspects and it will gradually improve.

I think you're right to pick up on flexibility though - a program to develop yours can only be a good thing for anyone's swimming.

Cheers,

Adam

Return to “Swim Types!”