Finis swim paddles for a male bambino.

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
coldplayplayer

Finis swim paddles for a male bambino.

Postby coldplayplayer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Just a quick question before I purchase the swim paddles from my local Swim T3 shop in Auckland. I see the Bambino swim guide I purchased recommends the Jr Finis swimming paddle for use with the swimming sessions. I just wanted to make sure the Jr ones are the best option for a 39 year old male or if I should go for the adult size? Can anyone offer some advice?

In fact while I am here, looking at the four provided sessions they look a little light although I may well be wrong. My fitness base is good and I have no problems swimming 2000m+, albeit in a inefficient slow bambino style. Can anyone offer advice whether I should stick to the length of workout provided in the bambino workout plans or add a bit more into the main sets?

I will be working hard in the off season to improve my swimming style and can't wait for the 2011/2012 Auckland ocean water and Panasonic people's tri events.

Adam Young

Re: Finis swim paddles for a male bambino.

Postby Adam Young » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi there,

For most men we'd recommend the larger senior version of the freestyles - from the sounds of it you're swimming pretty well so that makes them even more appropriate for you.

If you find the sessions a little short then please extend them, although saying that it's better to swim shorter sessions getting your technique right than struggling over longer ones.

Are you absolutely sure you're a bambino? Do you have any video footage of your stroke?

Cheers,

Adam

coldplayplayer

Postby coldplayplayer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Adam,

thanks for your reply. When I did the online swimming type test, Bambino was the clear winner. I've uploaded some video to my own website if you want to have a look. I did a CSS trial today and the times were:

400M = 8Min 47Secs, and
200M = 4Min 26Secs.
Stroke count looks to be about 50 - 52 / minute.

Below is a link for the video. I put a password protection on it and the password is swim

http://www.audiation.co/video-4/

I hope it doesn't take too long to load and that you can access it OK.

Thanks,

Aaron.

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the footage, most valuable. I wouldn't classify you as a bambino actually - I think this is one of the times when the questionnaire has got it a bit wrong, this does happen occasionally and it's why we have all the warnings attached to it!

I would have said you're more of an Arnie-Overglider cross breed. Do you think that when you started swimming you'd have been more of an Arnie fighting the water but have worked on lengthening out your stroke to become more efficient? It's extremely common to see that happened, many many Arnies gravitate towards overgliders - it's that inner desire to do things right!

That camera angle really emphasises the inflexibility in your ankles, this isn't something you can change radically in the short term but some stretching exercises to loosen them off will really help over time: http://swimsmooth.com/kick.html

Also, can you see how when you breathe you tend to flex your ankles and bring your feet to dorsi flexion (standing position)? That's not flexibility, it's a little bit of a stabilising habit, unfortunately it causes a lot of drag! When you rotate to breathe, keep your focus on a nice light regular kick and keep your toes pointed.

Generally your upper body flexibility is a little lacking. Video footage can be a bit deceptive about this but you look to be a pretty strong guy? Have you got a background in the gym? Weights tends to shorten the muscles and you lose some flexibility, an upper body stretching routine would really help you become a little straighter and also more relaxed in the water. The senior freestylers would be fine for you, you're cleary strong enough for them, no problem at all.

Can you see the pause at the front of your stroke? Some catch work to remove that will make a big difference for you to remove the deadspot and get a little more rhythm in your stroke.

How tall are you out of interest?

Hope that helps. If you send me an email address to adam@swimsmooth.com I'll change your Bambino guide to either an Arnie one or an Overglider.

Cheers,

Adam

coldplayplayer

Postby coldplayplayer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Adam,

although I shouldn't be, I am amazed at how precise your comments are.

Do you think that when you started swimming you'd have been more of an Arnie fighting the water but have worked on lengthening out your stroke to become more efficient? It's extremely common to see that happened, many many Arnies gravitate towards overgliders - it's that inner desire to do things right!
This is almost exactly what happened. I was given tips to concentrate on strokes per length and try to get it as low as possible. I consistently strived to keep lowering it and perhaps this has lead to the over gliding. I can also say that when I first started out and even still today attempt to pull myself through the water and normally find that my method of varying intensity is to try and pull harder through the water, so perhaps an Arnie technique there?

I looked at the short video again and I can see very clearly everything you made comment on. I definitely have a background in the gym and also a big background in running, which may all contribute to the lack of flexibility. But I see I can work on this, which is great news.

My height is 1.77 metres and my Ape Index works out at +2.

Lastly, thanks for the offer to change my plan from the Bambino. That's a fantastic offer I can't refuse.

I really appreciate all the feedback, direction and most importantly your time.

Kind regards,

Aaron.

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 am

Hi Aaron,

coldplayplayer wrote:although I shouldn't be, I am amazed at how precise your comments are.
It's really just the power of the Swim Type system - it's scary how you can quickly build up a picture from small snippets of information or short video clips of someone!

coldplayplayer wrote:I was given tips to concentrate on strokes per length and try to get it as low as possible. I consistently strived to keep lowering it and perhaps this has lead to the over gliding. I can also say that when I first started out and even still today attempt to pull myself through the water and normally find that my method of varying intensity is to try and pull harder through the water, so perhaps an Arnie technique there?
Yes, that's the classic Arnie-Overglider story - it's extremely common to hear.

Just emailed you!

Cheers,

Adam

Return to “Swim Types!”